27 January 2010

Long Overdue Update

Sadly, I have been absent from running since I finished the marathon in November. This is definitely not by choice, and has been killing me ever since. Pain in the knee during the marathon has forced me to rest, and after a month of no running I still felt pain, so I went to the doctor.

The good news is that there is no damage to the knee and the x-rays look healthy. The doctor thinks that some PT will help and I start that next week. I have a follow up appointment with the doctor in six weeks, but I am hoping that I can start running before that.

This injury has made me narrow my focus a little better. Last year I was very ambitious with my goals and thought that I would be running very long distances with an insubstantial base. That was foolish of me, and now it looks like I am starting over.

There are some races that I would like to do again this year, such as The Broad Street Run, but I may not be able to do them. I am at square one and now my focus is on running the Philadelphia Marathon again this year, but really knocking it out this time.

So for now I am doing what the doctor says and will be re-building my base.

3 comments:

Rookie on the Run said...

Welcome back! I had to start over (a couple times) since my marathon. Sounds like you're making a smart decision by resting. I hope the PT helps and you get back to running soon!

Lindsay said...

good for you - taking it easy. it's definitely for the best. hope your knee starts to feel 100% again soon so you can resume training and racing! til then, take it easy and try to enjoy the (forced) down time.

Stacey said...

The thing with running is that after your 'A' race, you need to take time to recover. That recovery time kills your base, and you start over..... from square one. It's frustrating, but it's all part of running! I suppose it makes certain that you stay humble.

Glad to hear that you're going to be coming back ;-)