25 March 2009

Life Can Get In The Way

So my trip to Nashville was cut short because my wife was sick. The race there would be my last run in over a week, because my wife was getting worse and needed to go to the hospital. She finally got home today, after a week in there. I am not going into the details here, but she is better than she was when she got admitted.

I have two sons. One is 5 and the other is 2. That makes it incredibly hard to run when you are the only parent around.

So my mileage has been horrible this month.

My original goal for The Broad Street run was 1:45... a 10:30 pace. Now I am just hoping to finish it.

I ran for the first time in over a week on Monday and it killed me. It felt like I was a complete beginner again. I had a 3 mile run today that felt really good... I mean almost perfect. Hopefully I can carry that through the next month and into Broad St.

My goal now is to build my mileage and do a few days of speed work, maybe just fartleks, and then do Broad Street as best as I can.

I know I can finish it, but how well is another question.

6 comments:

Pat said...

Best wishes to your wife. And, yes, life does get in the way.

joyRuN said...

Yes - life can be a quite the little bump on the running road.

I'm glad to hear your wife is doing better. Hope you guys avoid any more bumps for a while.

Kim said...

Like you said, life gets in the way-and your wife is WAY more important then finishing a race in a certain time.

Glad to hear she's doing better.

Now just get back on track as best you can and get going again. You'll be way good for next month's race.

Brian said...

Hope all is well man, best wishes! The road will always be there for you to run on!

Lindsay said...

finishing is still going to be an accomplishment!

hope all is well with the family and don't worry too much about your running. you'll bounce back!

Stacey said...

It is hard to have a balance between running and busy lives.

Hope your wife is going to have a full recovery!