11 April 2009

Improved Heart Rate

I get very excited at each improvement I see as I continue my journey into running.

This morning I woke early to go for a quick run, but it was down pouring pretty hard. Usually I do not mind running in the rain, but the forecast called for it to clear up so I decided to stay dry this time. Not a waste though.

I put on my heart rate monitor and sat in my recliner for about twenty minutes. I wanted to gauge my resting heart rate. Last time I did it was a couple months ago and it was around 60 beats per minute.

The first time I did it was when I first began running... I took my pulse and watched the second hand on my watch. During that time it ranged anywhere from 70 to 85 beats per minute.

Today my heart rate was 55 beats per minute. It makes me feel good and more motivated to improve my health and my life.

I love telling people about it, because I think it can motivate others to get in shape as well. If I can do it anyone can. You just have to get out of your comfort zone, work a little bit, and in doing so create a new comfort zone.

I also went down a pant size. I needed a couple new pairs for work, and instead of getting 42 waist, and fit a 40 waist... just a matter of time before I look more like a runner.

5 comments:

joyRuN said...

Congrats on the drops in RHR & pant size :)

We've made it a competition at work to see who can get the lowest RHR while sitting there. I haven't won yet, but I'm working on it :)

Some guy named John said...

The only disadvantage of having a lower heart rate is that your next visit to the doctor might be awkward. Medical professionals aren't used to seeing people with heart rates under 60 - except for folks on their deathbeds! After I'd been back to serious running for a while, I went in for an actual running-related injury and the nurse had a panic when she checked my pulse. (It was 44.) Now, they have a note on my chart circled in red ink: "Low HR is normal."

billdowis said...

I have heard that a couple times about doctors....

Isn't it crazy that they get all weirded out when the heart muscle is actually strong? They should be encouraging it!

Lindsay said...

nice on both counts! i need to get back in the habit of checking my RHR, and i need to find some nutritional motivation to drop sizes too. hope you aren't celebrating with too much easter candy :)

Brian said...

The best part about running/improving your lifestyle is the tangible affects. New pants, better heart rate, things you can actually see. Awesome job man!