30 January 2009

Am I Ready?

I had a very humbling run yesterday. It was only two miles, but one of the worst I have had in a long time.

I went after work, and although it had been a while since I ate, I did have a couple of my wife's onion rings before heading out. I did not think that would be a big deal. During the run I was cramping in my side, could that be from only a couple of onion rings? I could not run properly and no matter what I did I could not get into a proper rhythm.

Next week starts my training for the Broad Street Run. After my run yesterday the plan I have seems a little too ambitious. Will I even be able to do some of the training runs that it has planned for me? Will I have a good run after the thirteen weeks of training? Will I even make it through the thirteen weeks of training?

I know that this is a mental block that a lot of runners get, but it is making me think. I have two more "free runs" before training starts next week. I am running an easy three tomorrow and a long four or five on Sunday. I think while running these runs I will be reviewing my training plan and maybe making some tweaks to it.

I do not want my training to be so easy that it does nothing for me and I have a bad run... but I also do not want it to be so advanced that I set myself up for injury and failure.

2 comments:

joyRuN said...

I'm not sure what training plan you're following, but in terms of looking at just Broad Street, I wouldn't let your crappy 2-miler throw you off. You had a great 6 miles last week. And we all have those crappy runs. Makes the good runs even better :)

Lindsay said...

it is so hard to not second guess yourself and all your training. i always get extra nervous before a race, worrying about doing well and meeting my goals. when it comes down to it, you are still out there racing. most people can't even pull themselves off the couch to run 1 mile.

you're going to have some bad days throughout training, but you are also going to have some awesome ones. don't let the bad ones get you down, just be glad they were training days and not a race! put the work in, have faith in yourself, and you'll see the results in due time.